Monday 3 September 2007

Fallout Girl

I always find it difficult to find something to say on a monday. Whether something esoteric or something about the iniquities of the system of Job-Seekers' Allowance (formerly Income Support, formerly Unemployment Benefit, formerly Poor Law Relief).

A day of good things and bad things, on the whole. The women who worked there before has returned. Been to the Reading festival. Favourite band called "Fallout Boy". I recognise the cultural reference. I'm more of a Mull Historical Society man, myself. Not that I've ever heard anything by the Fallout Boy, of course. Don't intend to, either. There's another noisy toy too. A tweety-pie. Light-activated. I notice I've neglected to book this computer for tomorrow. I'll have to use the one next to it. I don't like change.

People keep assuming I work in shops. Of course, in one shop I do. I have a little badge with "VOLUNTEER" on it, I must look quite official. No-one seems to think it's odd for a volunteer to be in a bank. Reminds me of "Jon Ronson on... invisibility". Turns out the best way to avoid being seen isn't to actually be invisible, which is difficult to manage, or to run in front of a white wall holding a white sheet, as the Men Who Stare At Goats suggest. It's to wear one of those high-vis jackets. No-one takes notice of workmen. It's a wonder that Ronson didn't put any of his supersoldier mates on the radio.

Edit: A link.

No comments: